So what is the big deal about the census anyway??? Actually, it IS a big deal. Only about 60% of us respond to this important questionnaire.
Please fill out the census form that you receive in the mail. If you didn’t get a form in the mail, you can download one from the census website or they are available at the Downtown Library. The website can answer your questions. A census employee will also be available at the Downtown Library to answer questions. Call 367-6363 for details on days and times.
So why is the census important?
- It determines the number of seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- It helps allocate billions of dollars to states and communities for many programs including school lunches, senior citizen centers, employment assistance and much more!
- It determines federal funds for new construction such as highways and hospitals.
- It can help you trace your family history.
- The census generates valuable statistics on population, income, business and much more. The American Factfinder site is one example of where these statistics can be accessed.
-Anne R., Reference Librarian @ CADL