Please get out and vote November 6 or send in your absentee ballot. In the “boy do I feel old” department, this is the first presidential election that two of my nieces are old enough to vote in! My first presidential vote was *ahem* the election of 1980. This is a little jarring to me, but I am so proud of them for being interested in voting. I hope you are too.
As you probably know, Election Day is Tuesday November 6. Get out there and vote and help Michigan have one of the best turnouts ever! The library can help you with information before you vote. Our Voter Information page has links that you may find useful. For example, you can see if you are registered, read about proposals, get information on candidates, view a sample of your ballot and more.
- Which president was a model when young, actually appearing on the cover of Cosmopolitan?
- Ronald Reagan
- George H.W. Bush
- Gerald Ford
- Bill Clinton
- Which is NOT a real presidential pet:
- Andrew Jackson’s parrot “Poll.” (It cursed at his funeral.)
- Jimmy Carter’s dog “Peanuts.”
- James Garfield’s dog “Veto.”
- Teddy Roosevelt’s snake “Emily Spinach.”
- What is the most repeated first name for the First Ladies?
- Elizabeth, or a variation of that name.
- Which president had the most children?
- Rutherford B. Hayes
- George Washington
- William Henry Harrison
- John Tyler
- Which president was related by either blood or marriage to eleven other presidents?
- John Quincy Adams
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Benjamin Harrison
- C. To supplement his income as a lawyer, Gerald Ford worked as a model, and appeared on the cover of Cosmopolitan with his girlfriend in 1942.
- B. Jimmy Carter did have a dog, but its name was “Grits.”
- A. There were four First Ladies named Elizabeth or variants: Elizabeth Kortright Monroe, Eliza McCardle Johnson, Bess Truman (Elizabeth Virginia Wallace), Betty Ford (Elizabeth Ann Bloomer Warren.)
- D. John Tyler had 15 children. Incidentally, George Washington had no biological children, but was stepfather to Martha’s children from her first marriage.
- B. Franklin D. Roosevelt was related by either blood or marriage to: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Ulysses S. Grant, William Henry Harrison, Benjamin Harrison, James Madison, Theodore Roosevelt, William Taft, Zachary Taylor, Martin Van Buren, and George Washington.
* “The vote is the most powerful instrument ever devised by man for breaking down injustice and destroying the terrible walls which imprison men because they are different from other men.” –Lyndon B. Johnson
-Anne R., Reference Librarian at CADL Downtown Lansing